Saturday, November 5, 2011

Will Ferrell talks political comedy Southern Rivals

We recently sat down with legendary Anchorman mirth merchant Will Ferrell, to chat about his career so far.

Talk lead to his upcoming political comedy, Southern Rivals, which will see him and Hangover breakout star Zach Galifianakis playing competing presidential candidates.

When we asked Ferrell about the intriguing project, he was more than happy to spill the beans, telling us:

“It’s basically the story of a small time congressional district in North Carolina, in the south, and I’m the incumbent candidate who’s about to run unopposed for my fifth term.

“There’s even mention of me being considered as a candidate for Vice President and that’s as high as my aspirations go. I just want to be Vice President and I have a wife who wants to be the Second Lady.

“We’re politically hungry, and I’m cruising along until I leave what I think is a message on my mistress’ voicemail but it’s really just a random family and it blows up in my face. I’m seen as vulnerable for the first time and the opposition decides to run a candidate against me and that’s Zach’s [Galifianakis] character.

“But you know, the movie is just a platform for us to illustrate how insane our political process has become. The crazy ad campaigns that exist now and the manipulations. We’re going to make it pretty farcical but not really that far from the truth.”

Ferrell is of course renowned for his spot-on take-off of George W Bush; will his Southern Rivals character be based on a real figure? “No, no, just kind of based on all the politicians nowadays and how no one really talks about any issues, just pays lip service to a bunch of things.”

Southern Rivals
is expected to open in August 2012.

For more from Will Ferrell, get the new issue of Total Film Magazine, which is out now!



To subscribe to Total Film Magazine, click here.

You can now read Total Film magazine on iPhone and iPad via Apple Newsstand!

To find it on the UK App Store, click here. To find it on the US App Store, click here.





Source: Totalfilm

No comments:

Post a Comment